By Lynn Post, Director, ESC Northern New England
ESC is a group of high-impact, volunteer consultants who provide capacity building services to nonprofits to help them help their communities. Imagine using your hard-earned skills from industry or the nonprofit world to help nonprofits in a wide range of sectors from education and social services to arts and culture, environment, healthcare and more.
Five Reasons to do Volunteer Consulting with ESC
- Work with smart, like-minded people and be part of a team.
- Use your valuable professional skills and experience to help worthy organizations do great work in their communities.
- Gain new skills, knowledge and experience and learn about a variety of nonprofit sectors.
- Make a meaningful difference and gain a huge sense of accomplishment in helping client organizations be sustainable and effective.
ESC’s services include strategic planning, board development, fund development, marketing and branding, finance, leadership coaching, and facilitation.
Consider this unique opportunity to use your career skills in a meaningful volunteer capacity. Consultants hail from senior level careers in both industry and the nonprofit sector. Many are retired; some are actively working but also doing pro bono work through ESC. Please see job description here.
ESC NNE cohort met in Manchester, NH for strategic planning training and a discussion of diversity and inclusion. We’re very grateful to Sheehan Phinney Bass & Green PA for allowing us to use their gorgeous offices for our meetings.
Approximately half of our volunteers come from a corporate/business background and half come from the nonprofit world. Some have worked on consulting projects and many have not. To level set and help bring consultants up to speed on nonprofit consulting, ESC provides a set of free core courses twice per year to new consultants:
- Nonprofit consulting – 2 days, 10 hours total
- Nonprofit governance – 1 day, 5 hours total
- Nonprofit finance – 1 day, 3 hours total
These courses help consultants learn vital nonprofit skills and are a wonderful way to meet other ESC consultants.
ESC NNE Clients — Diverse Sectors and Geographies
ESC NNE clients represent a variety of nonprofit sectors and locations: from GALA Community Makerspace and Innovation Hub in Wolfeboro, NH; to the Black Heritage Trail of NH in Portsmouth, NH; Ausbon Sargent Land Preservation Trust in New London, NH; Bridgton Historical Society in Bridgton, ME; and the Windham County Sheriff’s Office in Windham, VT. We’ve provided solutions to these clients in the areas of strategic planning, marketing planning, market studies, HR, business planning, and more.
Why Nonprofits Hire ESC
Over 2,000 nonprofits throughout New England have used ESC services and here is why.
- Our multi-disciplinary teams can address nonprofits’ needs whatever they might be – e.g. strategic planning, business planning, marketing, HR, or board development.
- Our highly skilled volunteers give generously of their time and expertise, motivated by advancing the goals of the region’s inspirational nonprofits.
- ESC engages Northern New England’s older workers–some of the most experienced, skilled professionals in the region –to contribute their time and talent via high-impact volunteering.
- Our model allows us to offer capacity building services well below market rates with tiered pricing to meet any organization’s budget. We provide comprehensive services at a fixed price.