This year, Giving Tuesday falls on December 1st. This annual day of giving comes third in line after Thanksgiving, following Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Charitable giving on Giving Tuesday has grown every year since the movement began in 2012. Since 2012, online donations made on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving have increased by nearly 500%.
With Giving Tuesday fast approaching, now is the time to make sure that your organization’s fundraising strategy is ready. We recommend the following 5 methods to help your nonprofit make the most of Giving Tuesday:
1. Remember to integrate the hashtag #GivingTuesday into your social media campaign, both on and before December 1st. Tagging your posts will increase visibility and help spread awareness about Giving Tuesday in general, as well as your organization’s mission in particular.
2. Try a matching program. Incentivize gifts on this day by finding a donor who will match whatever funds your staff can raise at an event you’ve planned, or donations made online.
3. Announce a new project you will be working on. Giving Tuesday is a great opportunity to show others not only what you are working on, but what you hope to accomplish in the future as well. New projects are exciting and can be a great way to engage new donors.
4. Complement your social media campaign with a real-life event. Organizing a volunteer event for your organization can be a great way to engage with prospective donors in a meaningful way. Simple ideas such as a walk, an auction, or a sports competition are easy to plan and can be a cost-effective way to gain supporters.
5. Have fun! Giving Tuesday is a celebration, so be friendly, creative, and optimistic about what you and your organization can do. A message that stands out from the crowd online can make the difference between an average campaign and a successful one.
Nonprofit executive and Giving Tuesday organizer Henry Timms reminds us that it is critical for nonprofits to foster a sense of agency among donors: “They expect to be philanthropists in their own terms – and we as institutions need to help them to do that.” Giving Tuesday can be the perfect opportunity for your nonprofit to showcase exactly what donors mean to your organization, and how their support will impact your work.
For more information on Giving Tuesday, visit: www.givingtuesday.org.